Somedays you just need some kabobs in your life. A little mix of healthy and very tasty come together on sticks that also allow you to portion control (but let’s be real, sometimes that don’t even help and I end up with 3-4 on my plate)*insert emoji of little monkey covering their eyes.
I make these with a nice simple Tzatziki Dip, check out my recipe.
You first want to get your skewers and put them to soak, a baking sheet with some water works great! Also, put your quinoa to cook and get your oven preheating to 350!
In the meantime, chop and toss your zucchini with the oil, spices, and lemon juice.
Lay your seasoned zucchini bites onto a baking sheet lined with foil. It is optional to use a baking rack like I did, however it does help with getting little grill marks on them. Stick that sucker into the oven and let the zucchini cook for 35 minutes.
Once your quinoa is cooked put it into a large bowl with the ground chicken, spices, and cilantro.
Roll up the mixture into little balls. You can use a tablespoon or small cookie scoop to help you get more even ball sizes. Lay these onto another baking sheet with foil and relax until your zucchini is out of the oven and you’re ready to make the switcheroo to get them cooking.
Cook your chicken balls for 35-40 minutes. They will brown slightly.
Grab your skewers and alternate a chicken ball with a slice of zucchini. I had 2-3 chicken balls on my skewers at most. I also topped mine with the a little cherry tomato. Look how cute they are 🙂
2 medium zucchini, cut into thick ½ inch slices
Juice of one lemon
¼ c. Olive oil
1 ½ tsp cumin
¼ tsp cayenne
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 c. quinoa, cooked
1 lb ground chicken
1/4 c. Cilantro, chopped
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Special equipment: 12 (10-inch) wooden skewers, soaked in cold water for 30 minutes
- Cook your quinoa as per package instructions and put your skewers to soak. Also, Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk the together lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper, toss in zucchini slices. Lay your zucchinis on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil and get it into the oven. Let roast for 35 minutes. In the meantime, you can prepare the chicken.
- Place the cooked quinoa, spices, and ground chicken into a large bowl and mix together. Be mindful to only mix the chicken until you have mixed everything together. Overmixing isnt good!
- Line another baking sheet with foil. Spray with non-stick spray. Using a tablespoon, roll little balls of chicken and lay onto the baking sheet. Cook for 35 minutes.
- Once the chicken balls are out of the oven, let them cool enough to touch but not completely cool (as they will crumble when sliding through the skewer if they are cold).
- Grab your skewers and one-by-one alternate sliding the zucchini and chicken balls. I placed a cherry tomato at the top for color (and I also like cherry tomatoes) 🙂
Keywords: cooking, homemade, from scratch, kabobs, healthy, vegetables, chicken, ground, quinoa, zucchini